Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Colorado Part 3 - Butterfly Pavilion

This was a really cool place!  They call it an "invertebrate zoo" since there's all kinds of critters to see.  The butterfly atrium was the big hit of course, felt like being in a huge rain forest, FULL of butterflies of all colors - really beautiful.  We spent a long time exploring in there.  I took a video of it but it won't post in here now - maybe later.
In another area they had a "friendly" (big) tarantula named Rosie they let people hold (or at least walk across your hand for a minute) and if you do, you get a sticker saying "I held Rosie!"  People actually do this, FOR A STICKER?!?!  Seriously.  So of course Amy goes for it, and then without skipping a beat Emma walks right up for her turn!!  My delicate little 7-yr-old!  So Chris couldn't be outdone, and jumped in for his turn, then proudly wore his sticker all day.  I know Aidan well enough to know he was going nowhere near all this action, and so I passed too.... how bad would he feel if we all got a sticker but him?? I couldn't let him go through that so I sacrificed the thrilling experience.  For his sake, of course.
Sorry if the pics seem random, blogger isn't cooperative with getting them in good order.  Lots of them, I know... but for those who love close-up nature/butterfly shots, this place was a hot spot! :)

Chris holding Rosie

My brave girl! It's bigger than her hand!!

The Badge Of Courage

Aidan spent a long time at the bee exhibit - there were tons of them, with a little exit tube to the outdoors.  Maybe it was because of his close encounter last week (his 1st bee sting), but this fascinated him.

Checking out all kinds of sea creatures...
Exploring the butterfly atrium
Here come the butterfly shots...


Little friend on Emma's dress :)







Climbing the spider web

Fun day! We picnicked outside afterward and just enjoyed NOT being hot! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment